Friday, July 22, 2016

in the kitchen june

Still catching up on my food posts!


Spicy Apple Quiona from the Holistic Endoempowered Program.






Squirrel shopping at my bulk health food shop. Being particularly vigilant about pesticide free salads and food I can not peel the skin off. Unfortunately I haven't been able to source my amazing and abundant organic fruit and vegetable box from Canberra anymore - due to the business closing for personal reasons.


Kale, Avocado and Kiwi Fruit Salad from the Endoempowered Holistic Program. This combo is so different and delicious. Chicken Patties with Herbs and Shallots and Baked Sweet Potato and can't remember what type Potatoes.





Apple Slaw with Walnuts, Tahini Dressing & Orange for a catch up with friends.


Spanish Mussels. Working my way through the recipe book, Eat Endo Happy from the Endoempowered program. Oh night time shadow you strike again!


Gluten Free Sweetcorn Fritters. I used lentil flour instead of coconut flour. From The Healthy Chef.






More squirrel shopping from my bulk health food shop. I use to go fortnightly or weekly when we had a Waldorf playgroup in town but these days I go few times a week. Diversifying my organic wheat flour with Buckwheat flour. A little cinnamon sprinkled on my Dandelion Tea; farewell coffee and good riddance high cortisol levels.








Chocolate Beetroot Brownie a gluten free brownie using Almond Meal. From Home Grown Kitchen.

We're in the depth of Winter here and I usually cook a lot of casseroles, tagines and soups but my health issue has lightened my usual menu plan with a lot of clean eating plant based foods.

Are you eating comfort foods this season or eating lighter foods due to health issues? Or are you in Summer, frolicking at the beach in warmer weather and indulging in refreshing salads and juicy fruits? If so, lucky you!


Zena xx


9 comments:

  1. Zena I was talking to someone today who attended the fermentation workshop yesterday as I thought the $40 culture was expensive if it only does five ferments before losing potency. She said you just take out enough powder to start off a bottle and the rest stays in the freezer so that would last quite a long time. You sounded interested in the cultures I mentioned I on my blog so I thought I would let you know that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is helpful. Some people think Sanders is 100% way to go and others recommend buying cultures that are specific for Auto Immune Diseases so nothing is compromised if you are sick.

      Delete
  2. It all looks delicious! I have wanted to try the Beetroot Brownies for a while. I hope the diet is helping you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do try any beetroot brownie recipe. I have tried a few different recipes and they are all good. So addictive and healthier.

      Delete
  3. All the food that you make looks so delicious Zena. Many gold stars to you for having the will and determination to heal yourself with food. Too many people prefer a tablet because it's "easy" but they are not doing themselves any good at all. X :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the acknowledgement and although some may think it is a lot of work and costs more it is worth it both physically and mentally. Food can be so powerful.

      Delete
  4. So nice to find your blog Zena :D I have one myself but I struggle to update it.... Hope your winter is on its way out soon and you get some warmer days. Victoria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Zena, I really treasured your comment on my blog - so sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you. I have had various times of illness and really see that it is often the vehicle that God uses to call us to His love and to His existence. I too have felt as you do also about the sense of the only place I am really going to find what I need is in God. I totally get where you are coming from in that! I've been praying for you and thinking of you, even though I was not able to comment on your blog yet! (Am in the beginnings of a really busy season for me). God bless! If you ever want to email, feel free. roosjeblog AT yahoo DOT CA :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been meaning to get back here and leave a comment for over a month!!! Good golly that's a long time :/ These meals of yours are SO inspiring and all look incredibly delicious! I'm sure you have some really tough days with your health but I want you to know that I think you are amazing for taking charge of your endometriosis and as you continue to heal, you will look back on this time with satisfaction and true self-empowerment. Sending you lots of love xoxo

    ReplyDelete